Too bad I understand so little about server administration. Maybe one of you out there can help? I have the following mail setup:
• mail to firstname.lastname@example.org is resent to email@example.com via some LDAP rule. At the time I saved the following info by the admins in a note to myself:
dn: firstname.lastname@example.org,ou=Mail,dc=thinkmo,dc=de objectClass: mailAlias objectClass: mail mail: email@example.com mailDrop: firstname.lastname@example.org
• mail to alex@gnu is forwarded to email@example.com via an alias. This looks as follows:
alex@fencepost:~$ grep kensanata /srv/data/com/mailer/aliases alex: firstname.lastname@example.org
• I read my email@example.com mail via the Gmail website or via IMAP on the iPad.
The problem is a mail I recently got from one of the admins. It said that an email to firstname.lastname@example.org was forwarded to email@example.com and resulted in mail.thinkmo.de (the mail server for the account “firstname.lastname@example.org”) being added to a black list. Obviously the admins don’t like this.
They require me to take one of the following three steps:
- make sure 22.214.171.124 is on the whitelist of the MTA (I guess that’s the IP number for mail.thinkmo.de)
- stop forwarding to email@example.com
- or wrap the mail in a different way
The only part I understand is “stop forwarding”. This is difficult because of two reasons:
- the email address gets a lot of spam, therefore it needs to be filtered by Gmail – my spam folder contains over 2000 spam emails for the last 30 days
- the email address gets so much spam that having Gmail fetch emails for firstname.lastname@example.org from the mail.thinkmo.de server didn’t work – the list of unfetched email just kept on growing
I don’t know how to whitelist the mail server, and I don’t know where to do it. And I don’t know how the mail server is wrapping the emails it forwards to email@example.com, and I don’t know how to change it.
What should I do?
I get my DNS services from Gandi, and they offer “email redirection” – but I’m assuming that it has no effect if I provide an external DNS (ns1.thinkmo.de and ns6.gandi.net – I have no idea how I determined these two many years ago).
Any suggestion on what I should write my admins?