- “Alex Tercival, a paladin who serves St. Cuthbert, has been out of town for several days; I hear he traveled to the village of Redgorge to take care of a woman who was possessed by a demon!” – just a rumor
Today is September 1, 680 years after the foundation of Cauldron.
We started the new campaign!!
For a DM’s perspective on character generation, see 2007-09-02 Campaign Start.
The Gorunn butchery
- A note on copyright: The map sections on this page are © 2005 Wizards of the Coast, Inc., created by Christopher West. They are not covered by the license notice below.
Suffice it to say that we started with four characters: Borg Gorunn, a dwarven butcher turned monster hunter; Fenyael, an elven explorer interested in the volcano; Aria, a half-elven daughter of a noble house interested in all things elven; and Zacharias, a human child age fourteen from the Cauldron undertaker who runs the crematorium.
Borg lives on Magma Avenue. The butchery is to the right of Maavu’s main warehouse.
Fenyael has rented a room at the Drunken Morkoth.
Aria still lives at home when she’s not at the Pelor temple.
Zacharias still lives with his family in the house near the crematorium. Here’s how to get to the crematorium: Start at Skie’s Treasury, walk down to Lava Avenue, turn right until you reach the back of the Treasury, walk down to Ash Avenue, and when you’re half way there, you’ll see the crematorium on your right.
Basically the party gets involved in the abduction of four children from the Lantern Street Orphanage
. What follows is a list of people know, talked to, and information discovered.
- Ruphus Laro
- A monk of St. Cuthbert charged with investigating the abductions at the orphanage. He was attacked by Last Laugh ruffians on the way back and saved by the party.
- Jenya Urikas
- The priestess of St. Cuthbert in charge of the temple while the high priest Sarcem Delasharn is on an extended visit to the port city of Sasserine. She gave every party member a potion of Cure Moderate Wounds and promised 2’500 gp for bringing back the children and punishing the kidnappers.
- Gretchyn Tashykk
- The headmistress of the Lantern Street Orphanage; an elderly halfling.
- Half-orc janitor at the Lantern Street Orphanage. He confessed having received 50 gp in order to watch over Terrem about a year ago. He is still contacted by the mysterious Revo Twindagger every now and then.
- Keygan Ghelve
- The gnomish locksmith who supplies 80% of all the locks in this Cauldron. The skulks and dark creepers of Jzadirune forced him to produce three master keys for his locks by abducting his familiar, a rat called Starbrow. He gave the party a map of the old gnomish magic user enclave of Jzadirune, warned them of trapped doors, and mentioned the mysterious Vanishing curse that struck 75 years ago and cursed all magic items produced down there.
- Kristof Jurgensen
- Current head of the church of Pelor; the church is relatively minor, specially since his three superiors recently died under mysterious circumstances.
- An acolyte at the Pelor temple, and friend of Aria’s.
- Sergeant Justinian
- Working for the town guard; he told the party about the Last Laugh thieves guild (which is what “organized crime” is called around here…). He also mentioned that there are about five levels of subterranean prisons below the town barracks. Seeing that Aria was an acolyte of Pelor, he said he’d give her a tour of the prison complex if she produced a letter of recommendation from her head priest, Kristof Jurgensen.
- Bolar Westkey
- Gnomish cartographer that had a map of Jzadirune similar to the one that Keygan Ghelve gave to the party. Maps seem to cost 2-20 gp.
- Fenyael has a remote relative working at the Bluewater Academy. Fenyael is trying to get him to help him research the volcano issue, but this first requires adequate introductions as required by elvish codes of conduct. A present must be sent, an invitation to an appropriate event must be delivered, and so on. What’s this professor’s name?
- What is Aria’s noble house? The father must be over seventy years old by now. Where does the elvish mother live, and is there a possibility of her coming back?
The party met Ruphus on September 1, talked to the headmistress of the orphanage on September 2, and started investigating Jzadirune on September 3.
The party spent quite a long time down in Jzadirune and discovered several Skulks, about half of them asleep. One of them seems to have contracted the Vanishing curse. The party traveled quite a bit through mysteriously dug tunnels without ever having to open any of the gnomish doors. They did find a few secret doors, however. Below the old gnomish theater stage, they fought a choker and nearly died because it grappled Borg and nearly killed him, and then started grappling Aria. Only when Zacharias’ Ray of Enfeeblement weakened it such that it could no longer do any real damage did the Choker flee. The party had prevailed and brought some loot back up to the surface.
- Skulks, 7 × CR 1
- Patch, 1 × CR 1
- Choker, 1 × CR 2
- Keygan Ghelve, 1 × CR 3
- Level 1
8*300+600+900 ⇒ 3900 / 4 = 975 per person
- 975 (Ftr-1)
- 975 + 50 (initiative) = 1025 (Clr-1 + new level)
- 975 (Sor-1)
- 975 (Sor-1)
Tags: RPG ShackledCity