We’re going on a trip, soon. That’s why I have started looking at my mobile phone’s config again. I want to check on my website, every now and then!
Here’s how I’ve set up my homepage for mobile users.
The wrapper script is trivial. All it does is use a different config file.
#!/usr/bin/perl package OddMuse; $DataDir = '/org/org.emacswiki/htdocs/alex'; umask(006); $ConfigFile = $DataDir . '/config-mob'; do 'current.pl';
And the config file sets a few options at the end:
require $DataDir . '/config'; $StyleSheet = ''; $EmbedWiki = 1; $RcDefault = 2; $ScriptName = 'https://alexschroeder.ch/wiki-mob'; $FullUrl = 'http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/alex';
The net result:
Theoretically you could rewrite all requests by mobile phone user agents to this wrapper script. I’ve been too lazy to do that. Instead, I just bookmark the alex-mob location on my phone.
Aside: What’s really cool – once you discover it! – is that you can visit m.google.com with your phone’s browser, pick Gmail, and it’ll allow you to download the Gmail app for your phone. I wasn’t able to use Email or the Gmail app on my Nokia 6300, and not even the guy at the shop knew what to do. He did suggest a new SIM card, however, because mine was so old. I agreed. Surprisingly, this fixed my problems. Now that I spent some time in the config labyrinths of Nokia, I finally discovered that their user interface does suck in certain aspects. Finding the correct place for your configurations is a mess. It took me the longest time to figure out where to set my options and where to activate SSL. And since I got this phone via Claudia’s mother, I still get the occasional references to Sunrise instead of Orange. When I download Email, it says it uses the Internet settings for “Sunrise live” – and I can’t seem to find those anywhere on my phone. Oh well. As long as it works. I guess.