MJ Harnish writes about his Bi-annual RPG Podcast Round-up. Let me go through my podcasts as well… Most of them are about roleplaying games, obviously.
I usually listen to podcasts on my portable audio player, so I’m fine with low information density. If I’m at the computer while they’re playing, I will sometimes listen to a show two or three times in a row. That also means that I don’t care about video content.
I think that most interviews are sort of ok when they’re about the person behind a product. I find interviews with people trying to sell their product lame because we’re neither getting critical questions nor a review. It’s just advertising. I prefer a people story.
But now, on to the list:
- All Games Considered – I was unsubscribed for a while but resubscribed as it got nominated for the Ennies 👌
- Atomic Array – the hosts are funny, but the games they talk about are often not games I’d enjoy, sometimes it’s a bit heavy on the marketing :yellow:
- Brilliant Gameologists – not being a native English speaker, I was surprised by the “raunchy humor and sexual innuendo” as MJ Harnish puts it; I guess I stay subscribed because I treat it as a curiosity :yellow:
- Fear the Boot – at the moment John is back, so it’s funny enough; I don’t care for Battletech but at least some of the hosts are with me, haha; I really liked the various DM styles they presented a while back :green:
- Green Ronin Publishing Podcast – I’m interested in the company even though I play none of their games; I liked the few they did, specially the one about their favorite games; they hardly ever publish new episodes but I don’t mind :yellow:
- Have Games, Will Travel – short episodes, the games not quite my style, I find monologues less entertaining than a group chat :yellow:
- The History of Rome – historical stuff; awesome – also consider 12 Byzantine Emperors :green: ☆ ☆ ☆
- In Our Time – science and history, awesome BBC4 stuff :green:
- Kobold Quarterly – I guess this feed was replaced by the Open Design Podcast? :red:
- Midnight’s Lair – hasn’t published in a long time; I don’t even know what it was about anymore :red:
- Open Design Podcast – short segments by Monte Cook and others; I like it; doesn’t publish too often :green: ☆
- Order 66 – haven’t heard anything, yet; I subscribed because of the Ennies :question:
- Pulp Gamer Inside Track – they had some interesting interviews in the past :yellow:
- RPG Circus – an interesting mix of topics; I’m often on the brink of sending in an audio comment; very new :green: ☆
- Sons of Kryos – I loved them but then they switched to video and I can’t watch videos while walking or riding public transport; I don’t think they ever produced more than one video episode? Listen to the archives if you haven’t! Also note that Judd Kalrmann has appeared on the Cannon Puncture Show occasionally :llap: ☆
- The Canon Puncture Show – currently one of my favorite shows; I really like how they pick some of the recent RPG blog posts and discuss them – I can immediately relate since most often I’ve read the same articles and have my own related thoughts :green: ☆ ☆
- Thinking Allowed – usually two interviews relating to recent books published; not quite sure whether I like it :red:
- This Just In… From GenCon – I listened to it while !GenCon was going on :yellow:
- The Voice of the Revolution – hear about new indie games since I don’t read any of the fancy forums (Story Games? The Forge?)
- 2d6 Feet in a Random Direction – if they’re not talking too much about the shop, I enjoy the show very much – they made me buy Mongoose Traveller :green: ☆
- 3.5 Private Sanctuary – I don’t really like the class features where they delve into the rules, but I found it to be a cool source of thoughts on Pathfinder :green: ☆ ☆
Unsubscribed stuff still hanging around in my list: Dragons Landing, Gamer’s Haven, Geek Girls Rule!, Godzilla Gaming Podcast, Hackerfunk, The Podge Cast, !SanD Worldbuilding 101, The Tome Show, !TrapCast. Maybe if someone convinces me that they changed a lot, I’d resubscribe?
Older lists → click on the podcast category link below.
Update: I forgot to list the Canon Puncture Show!! Oops! :cry:
Tags: Podcast RPG