I’m reading the front page of this week’s WOZ and find some numbers:
- In 2008 Switzerland earned CHF 772M via arms exports. Apparently the second highest pro-capita number, sadly.
- Switzerland has an act prohibiting the arms export (SR 514.511 Art. 5) if “the country of destination is involved in an internal or international armed conflict” (Abs. 2a) or “violates human rights in a systematic and serious manner” (Abs. 2b).
- Nevertheless, Switzerland earned CHF 19M by exporting arms to the United States, currently involved in an armed conflict in Afghanistan.
- Nevertheless, Switzerland earned CHF 62M by exporting arms to Germany, currently involved in an armed conflict in Afghanistan.
- Nevertheless, Switzerland earned CHF 34M by exporting arms to Saudia Arabia, not a model nation when it comes to human rights.
- 2005-08-04 Switzerland, where I ranted about death-dealing Switzerland. I still remember Switzerland declaring peace in Iraq way ahead of the USA, in an embarassing attempt to justify the arms export to the United States.
Banish arms exports. November 29, 2009.
(Deutscher Artikel bei der WOZ: Tödliche Kontinuität.)