Well, it happened again. The blog post A database of old-school monsters caught my attention. There, Gavin says he wants an “online old-school monster database, with tags.”
It just so happened that I had some code lying around that would provide Campaign Wiki with tags. I gave it a try, and it worked.
Then I looked around for monsters to add to the wiki. I didn’t want to start with the The Hypertext d20 SRD or the Pathfinder SRD – I wanted old school. I remembered that Dan Proctor kindly doesn’t just host PDF files, he also provides text files for his stuff—the Open Game Content Library. So I went there, got the Labyrinth Lord monsters and the Advanced Edition Companion monsters, saved the Word document as text files and started using a lot of regular-expression based search and replace and keyboard macros to semi-automatically go through it all, split it into files and upload the stuff using some shell scripting. Yay for Perl, Emacs and the shell. 🙂
The result: Campaign:Monsters! A wiki for all of us. Add monsters that allow free distribution – Open Gaming Content, Creative Commons, your own stuff (if you’re willing to make it free), add tags, and make it grow. Use it to browse, find some inspiration, prepare your adventures and populate your wandering monster tables.