Trolly Troll's Top Ten Troll Questions for Your Game.
- Race (Elf, Dwarf, Halfling) as a class? Yes. We can always add more classes.
- Do demi-humans have souls? What is a soul? They can all be resurrected.
- Ascending or descending armor class? Descending. I can use the books I like as they are.
- Demi-human level limits? Yes. They are strange. (Brendan points to Jeff’s article, Everyone has Level Limits exactly backwards except Timrod and me)
- Should thieves be a class? No. Anybody can steal. Yes. It’s what some of my players want.
- Do characters get non-weapon skills? No. If you want to so something that requires training, explain why your character has that training and add this fact about your character’s past to your character sheet.
- Are magic-users more powerful than fighters (and, if yes, what level do they take the lead)? I don’t know. My campaign has not reached that level, yet. With appropriate preparation and the right spells a magic user seems invincible. Without the right preparation, a magic user seems very fragile.
- Do you use alignment languages? No. A surprising number of creatures speak the common tongue, however.
- XP for gold, or XP for objectives (thieves disarming traps, etc…)? XP for gold spent. I have price lists for buildings and encourage characters to hire servants and guards and specialists to populate them.
- Which is the best edition; ODD, Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer, Rules Cyclopedia, 1E ADD, 2E ADD, 3E ADD, 4E ADD, Next? Moldvay. Easy to get started. I’m assuming I’ll eventually switch to the Rules Cyclopedia for the high levels.
What about you?
Tags: RPG Old School