- March 10, I get an email telling my that our building is now connected to the city’s glass fibre network
- March 10, I confirmed the order with Init7
- March 16, a technician inspected the setup
- March 16, the new modem arrived (FRITZBox 5490)
- March 17, I’m writing the cancellation for UPC’s copper
Why leave UPC?
- UPC cooperated with the NSA spying on customers in Austria. (Der Standard, German)
- I was super annoyed to discover that in addition to the regular service fee of CHF 59.–/mo I have to pay an extra 359.40/yr for the cable itself. Fuuuuuhh! 😠
Total: 1067.40/yr for something called “Internet 100” (the speed test says 82.53 Mbps download, 10.71 Mbps upload)
Why pick Init7?
Total: 777.–/yr for something called “Fiber7” (which supposedly will give me 1 Gbit/sec download and 1 Gbit/sec upload)
Vote with your wallet. Also, 1GB symmetric. Even if you don’t need it, I want to return to a world with decentralized Internet. Having symmetric connections is the first step in the right direction.