This Apple laptop takes so long to boot and to switch accounts, it is so much slower than it used be, I feel that I’m probably not going to buy another Mac. This is what we have:
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)
- 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
- NVIDIA GeForce 320M 246 MB
- Hitachi HTS545025B9SA02 (250GB)
Yes, it’s old. It still makes me angry because the specs should be good enough.
I just got an email from the FSF with a link to their Ethical Tech Giving Guide which led me to the Vikings X200. It’s refurbished, which is sound from an environmental point of view.
- Vikings X200 ultraportable laptop - FSF RYF certified (300€)
- Keyboard Layout: QWERTY (U.S.) (+25€)
- Battery Pack: New 9 cell battery pack (7800 mAh) (+69€)
- Memory: 8 GB RAM (new) (+80€)
- GNU/Linux Distribution: Trisquel GNU/Linux (+25€)
- Storage (SSD recommended): SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB (+140€)
The alternative would be a Librem 13:
- Purism Librem 13 ($1399)
- Memory 8GB (+$69)
- 2.5” SATA 3 SSD 500GB (+$199)
- AC Adapter Power Plug EU
- Keyboard English (US)
OK, so that’s the range.
AC adapter power plugs—don’t get me started. The Swiss have a different system.
Tags: Mac Hardware Gadgets