Today, @simon_brooke asked me about the laptop I got half a year ago. How’s the build quality?
Let me start by saying that I know very little about these things. Overall, I’m happy. We still have a Mac PowerBook and I no longer use it.
What do I have?
- i7-6500U processor @ 2.50GHz
- Intel HD 520 graphics
- 16GB DDR4 RAM
- 500GB M.2 NVMe
- hardware kill switches
- a Debian derivative is preinstalled (PureOS)
- I see regular updates coming down the line
- it came with disk encryption
- when I got it, it soon broke down and I had to get it replaced; customer service was very friendly, though
- the keyboard is not perfect, sometimes shift doesn’t quite register and I think it’s sometimes creaking – rare, but I noticed it
- the lid doesn’t move easily which means opening the lid = lifting the laptop, sometimes
While travelling in Japan I wondered whether the laptop’s wifi was worse than my phone’s wifi. I never figured it out and back at home it just means that I can’t use wifi on the balcony, with the glass door closed, 10m from the router who’s in a closet behind a wall... I think that’s OK.