I’m using fail2ban to watch over my sites. Or at least I thought I did!
fail2ban didn’t notice a thing.
But zoom out and you’ll notice that the rules for Apache and Gopher aren’t seeing any matches.
What happened? I don’t know. But I suspect this is due to me removing IP numbers from the web server logs. This meant that the fail2ban rules no longer matched. Not once. Somebody started unleashing another bot and here we are, once again fighting the leeches.
Well, I enabled the logging of IP numbers again and I see fail2ban has started banning some IP numbers again. But unfortunately, load remains an issue.
So now I’ve started the process of tearing the farm apart.
Toadfarm is a single Mojolicious application which mounted all of the 27 Mojolicious applications I had as one “farm”. This resulted in two problems:
farmso I couldn’t tell them apart
Now now I’m removing the applications one by one from Toadfarm, using Hypnotoad to run them.
See if it works.
Current status: 4/27 done. I have a bad feeling about this.