After trying Fink for a short while and DarwinPorts for a bit longer, after finally downloading and compiling all my stuff manually, I decided to give Homebrew a try. I run an old Mac Mini with Mac OS 10.6.8 on it. I did the radical thing and deleted all the stuff I installed myself:

sudo mv /usr/local /Users/alex/Desktop

I’m hoping to list all the stuff I will subsequently install on this page. Wish me luck! :)

ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/go/install)"
brew doctor
brew tap homebrew/dupes  # rsync
brew install git
brew install gnupg       # gpg
brew install w3m         # view html files and browse the web in a terminal
brew install rsync       # backup
brew install id3lib      # id3info, id3tag
brew install poppler     # pdfimages
brew install gnutls      # starttls
brew install bitlbee     # IRC and instant messaging
brew install nmap        # portscanning
brew install flvstreamer # download .flv files
brew install ffmpeg      # convert flv to mp3
brew install mpg321      # play them
brew install gv          # view pdf files in Emacs, requires https://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/
brew install fdupes      # find duplicate files
brew install wget        # wget is sometimes more intuitive than curl
brew install python      # brew install brz gets confused by 2.6
brew install bzr         # I installed something in 2009...
brew install pdfjam      # resizing PDF files
brew install inkscape    # because the Inkscape binary I downloaded stopped working (problem with the new Python?)
brew install sane-backends # scanner
brew install trash       # use from the commandline to trash instead of delete
brew install --HEAD avidemux # simple video editing


Possibly related… :)

curl -kL http://install.perlbrew.pl | bash
perlbrew install perl-stable
perlbrew install-cpanm
cpanm --notest XML::LibXML
cpanm Captcha::reCAPTCHA

Show Google +1


Please make sure you contribute only your own work, or work licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. See Info for text formatting rules. You can edit the comment page if you need to fix typos. You can subscribe to new comments by email without leaving a comment.

To save this page you must answer this question:

Please say HELLO.