bpalmer on #emacs: “If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders.” — Hal Abelson
Books I have read and recommend:
- SICP: Abelson, Sussman, and Sussman’s Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, available for download 
- OnLisp: PaulGraham’s On Lisp, available for download 
- PAIP: Peter Norvig’s Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp 
- CL: PaulGraham’s ANSI Common Lisp 
- TAOUP: EricRaymond’s The Art of Unix Programming, available for download , see 2004-05-31 Books for more links
Other books that might be of interest:
- Modern Perl if you want to know more about Perl. This is a good introduction to the language.
- Let Over Lambda if you want to know a lot more about Lisp. This is tough.
Tasg: book lisp scheme programming unix